Do you waste too much time on YouTube?
If you have symptoms of addiction to YouTube, the best thing you can do is to block your access and start implementing cheat days.
Bodybuilders do this with their diet: They eat clean, healthy foods every day. Once a week or once a month, however, they allow themselves to go on a cheat day—they cheat on their diet and eat whatever they want; it helps them take off the psychological edge they need to stay strict and disciplined most of the time.
Now back to your YouTube addiction that you want to get rid of.
The solution to your problem is simple:
- Block YouTube on your computer and delete the app from your phone.
- Decide on one day a week where you unblock it and allow yourself to watch whatever you want (for example, every Saturday).
In other words, you will not watch any YouTube videos six days of the week, and you will never switch days.
Sure, YouTube—just like Facebook, Twitter, etc.—has plenty of benefits, but you don’t need to waste time and attention every day to reap 98% of these benefits; you can reap them all on Saturday. The remaining 2% are a cheap tradeoff for all the freedom you gain from beating your addiction, and all the success you then can achieve.
In an earlier article on YouTube addiction, I recommended limiting your time on YouTube to one hour a day. This is great for developing strong willpower and self-discipline, but it’s subpar advice if you want to stay consistent over the long term because it requires daily willpower effort.
I promised myself to keep this article short, so that’s it: To get rid of your YouTube addiction, limit your time on—your access to—YouTube to one day a week. Liberate your mind!